Sunday, September 11, 2016

Atlanta Heater

I purchased this 20,000 BTU Atlanta heater from my grandad when we were holding his garage sale before moving to the assisted living facility.  He had used the heater for several years in his living room.  I had the heater in the garage planning to use it when working in the winter.  However, I've now decided to switch it to propane and use it in the cabin.

This weekend, I completely disassembled the heater and cleaned it really well.  It was full of match sticks and cobwebs.  I figured it would be best to clean it real well before putting it back into use.  The final product looks pretty good except one of the radiants is broken and held together with a piece of wire.



The plaque on the back clearly shows this is an Atlanta J-20 heater.  The remains of a label beside the plque indicate a certain type of corrosion resistance but I can't make out the name.

I expected it might be difficult to convert the natural gas heater to propane but the plaque on the back indicated exactly how it was done.  I've not worked with a heater of this type before so the only trouble was finding the location of the orifice.


While the heater was being run on natural gas.  You can see the orifice at the lower right of this picture.  It is the black orifice for use with propane.  I had to add the adapter on the left side so that it would connect to a propane hose I have and that was really all I needed to do.  The total cost was just $2,49 for the adapter!

The last thing I did for the weekend was connect it to the propane tank and light it up.  I wanted to make sure it worked well before calling the project done.  Sure enough, it lit without any trouble so now I'm going to pack it up until the cabin is ready and then I'll install it.

No comments:

Post a Comment