Tuesday, September 6, 2016

Grandad's Cast Iron Pan

Earlier this year, we helped my grandad move out of his home and into an assisted living facility.  As part of the preparation process, he started giving away many of his things.  In the laundry room, my uncle noticed a set of cast iron pans.  The two were roughly the same size except one was a deep pan and the other was shallow.

My uncle decided to keep the shallow one and gave me the deeper one.  The one I received was covered in a very thick layer of grease (not seasoning but grease) and rust in the very bottom but I did not care.  Since the pan was rusty, I decided to restore it completely which was harder than I expected.





The rust was not too hard to remove.  However, the rest if the plan had a thick coating or grease which did not want to come off.  As I removed it, I noticed some of the pain had what appeared to be paint.  Since there were areas without paint, I just removed it all to bare metal which unfortunately took a couple of hours.




Last night, I seasoned the pan last night using Crisco.  I heated it to 350 for three hours.  I put some oil on it ti start with and then each hour after that, and then wiped it off at the end.

The pan has a slight bronze look which is normal.  This is because I took it to shiny metal but it will darken with us.





No comments:

Post a Comment