Sunday, December 25, 2016

Cabin Preparation - Preparing the Cabin to Move

The cabin was placed on my parents land as a place to stay overnight when out at the land working or hunting.  The following picture is of the cabin being delivered back in 2009 or 2010.


Initially, the cabin was just a place to get out of the elements and stay the night.  A generator was placed in a storage building outside the cabin to power lights, a few outlets, and a window AC unit.  It stayed this way for quite some time and we ate meals at the picnic table, used the AC to stay cool inside on hot days, and my wife and I even stayed the night in the cabin on two or three occasions to go hunting.  


In May of 2014, we decided to put up cattle panels around the cabin so it would not be damaged by cows which were added to the property.  This gave us a little more flexibility as the dogs could stay with us overnight.  We could then let them out at night without fear of them running off.  It also kept wild animals from getting right next to the cabin at night.

In 2015, electricity was added to the property for a future house build.  The electricity was run to the cabin and there was no longer a need for the generator.  I did not use it a great deal in 2015 but my parents did as cleared the land for the addition of their house.  Once their house was finished in November of 2015, the cabin became more used for storage than anything else.

Today, after winding down after Christmas morning, we decided to remove everything from the cabin.  We loaded all the contents into my truck and my dad's and moved it to his shop.  We then disconnected the electrical lines to the cabin and a water line he had running in to a sink.  We still have the fence in place and will remove it on the day they move the cabin as we don't want cattle up on the porch causing damage.

Aside from removing a few tree limbs at my property, I think we are ready to have the cabin moved.  I called earlier in the week and they said that they could get it done the second or third week in January as long as the weather is good.  I'm ready.

No comments:

Post a Comment