Wednesday, December 28, 2016

Electrical Service - Removing Old Equipment

When the electric company visited a couple of weeks back, we discussed options for obtaining electric service.  They prefer to install above ground service where the customer's meter/breaker pole is 20 to 25 foot from the main service pole.  

There is an existing pole on the property but it is about 50' from the main service pole.  I'd already decided against using this pole for the electrical service for a few reasons:

  1. The pole is on the wrong side of the drive for entering the property resulting in electrical wires running over the drive.
  2. The existing meter and breaker box could not be used as the brass connectors are all incredibly rusted and are only for 100 amp service.
  3. The existing location is a real eye sore as it is very visible and the new location would be in the far corner of the property.

I decided to leave the pole for now but remove all equipment from the pole.  Later, I might decide to remove the pole or just use it to mount a light which could be used to light up the area around the cabin.  After removing all the hardware, I leveled the ground around the pole and then stacked a few rocks around it to keep weeds and grass from growing right next to it.


The utility pole only had one line running from it to a small RV pole right in front of the new cabin location.  I was not opposed to leaving the small RV pole but considering I would be using a new meter pole, I'd have to rerun all the wiring to it so I decided to remove it too.  Luckily, the wiring from the meter pole to the small RV pole was only about 6 inches below the ground so I was able to pull it up by hand.  This cleaned up the area even more and will open more options for installing the cabin.


I've kept all the equipment as I might try to use the breaker box, the metal outlet boxes or some of the other equipment in the shed later.  For now, I'll just put them in the shed for storage.

No comments:

Post a Comment