Sunday, March 25, 2018

Pecan Grove - Planting Trees 2

Today, my son and I finished the job of planting the pecan trees. We planted the Nacono first.  The hole was quite easy to dig and was sandy loam soil without any rocks.  


We then planted the Waco variety a little deeper into the trees.  There is a small path to it which will need to be expanded some.  This area was also sandy loam with no rocks so it should be a good spot.


We saved the hole with rock at the bottom until last.  I was unable to dig up or break the rock so we moved 10 foot to one side and dug a new hole.  There was a large rock at the bottom of this hole also.  I believe I'm just hitting super compressed sand that has formed a layer of sandstone.  I was able to break through some of this with a breaker bar so I imagine the tree root should be able to as well.  The Oconee was planted in this spot.



The area I selected to plan the trees is very near my tank so I can get water there for them if needed.  There are very few decent trees in this area.  It is primarily cedar and youpon.  My plan was to plan the pecan trees in the area and slowly clear out other items as the pecan trees grow.

In the picture below, I have the Oconee in the foreground with the Cheyenne in the background.


Looking almost 180 degrees in the other direction, I have the Oconee in the foreground and the Pawnee in the background.


The following picture is not great but shows the location of each of the pecan trees I planted.  


No comments:

Post a Comment