Sunday, April 15, 2018

Electrical Service - Trench, Conduit, & Final Connections

Today, I shared the rental of a trenching machine with my dad.  We used the machine to trench the 100 feet from the service pole to the circuit box on the cabin.  The trench was 14" deep at the shallowest point which placed my 2" conduit a full 12" under ground.


With the trench complete, I glued together 10 pieces of schedule 40 PVC.  The 10th piece needed to be cut slightly in order to fit perfectly in the trench.  Once cut, I glued a 90 degree bend on each side and dropped the conduit into the trench.


With the conduit somewhat in place, I ran the electrical cable through the conduit with a pull rope in case I need to run anything through the conduit later.  I then cut two lengths of conduit and glued them to the 90's to complete the connection to the circuit breaker box on the cabin and the opposite side on the service pole.  



While the electrical cable I ran included an 8 gauge ground wire, I installed an 8' grounding rod at the cabin similar to what I installed at the electrical pole.  

A few connections later and the pre-wired cabin was ready.  It is quite nice to have electricity in the cabin.  It opens up several opportunities that did not exist before.  The timing was perfect as I took the week off work to stay the rest of the week at the cabin.  

No comments:

Post a Comment