Tuesday, December 22, 2015

Inherited Grey Gorge Cruiser Axe

In April of this year, my grandfather turned 92.  Unfortunately, his age has been getting the best of him.  He is no longer able to use the tools he has obtained over the years.  He asked me to go through one of his sheds this weekend to get a few things which I thought I might be able to use.  

On the bottom shelf of a metal rack, behind a lawn mower, I found a cardboard box full of metal brackets and hinges. Buried in the box, I found a double bit cruiser style axe head.  My grandad was not sure of the age but believed it was one which was used in years past by his father.  

The axe has very distinct markings so it is easy to tell the maker. On the side the axe has 'Hartwell Brothers Gray Gorge Memphis Tenn.


From the side view, it is apparent the two sides are not symmetrical.  One side of a cruiser axe is normally not as long as the other side but the difference if fairly minor.  The shorter side of a cruiser axe is normally has a steeper angle to the grind so it can withstand more abuse.  In this instance, this shorter side received a large amount of abuse and was likely ground down over the years to take out chips.

This axe was certainly viewed as only a tool to those who used it in the past.  There are numerous hammer marks along the bottom where it was hammer off and on handles over the years.  


From what I can tell, the axe was produced by Warren Axe and Tool for Grey Gorge which was primarily an handle maker. The axe is referred to as a Cedar pattern axe which I've not heard of before. The source of the information is from 1945 so I suspect it is at least that old but some were made before WW2 (1930's). I've not found much information about the axe beyond this.

I was able to clean up the head using WD-40 and fine steel wool.  I then sharpened up the edges just a bit.  The edges could be done much, much better but my goals was to get them reasonably sharp without removing a great deal of material.  


I installed the axe head on a handle from House Handles.  The head is so worn down, the handle seems very large for it.  The head also seems a little crooked on the handle so I'm not overly happy with it.  I'm not sure if I'll ever try to use it so I'm tempted to take it off the handle and just display it somewhere.  For now, I'll just leave it on the handle and consider it complete.


1 comment:

  1. Go out and cut down a tree with that fine axe, it's fun and much more rewarding than using a chainsaw.
    Any axe I find at a sale cheap I buy and restore using antique tools like scopeshaves to shape the hickory handles, and it's always exciting once you remove the rust to see if you have a makers mark, and then go out back and test it out on a tree, clean er up and hang it on the barn wall.

    ReplyDelete