Sunday, January 17, 2016

Buying a Chainsaw

I read a recent article in Countryside magazine about purchasing a chainsaw.  While I don't need one now, I suspect I will need one after I buy land in order to clean the property, drop dead trees, and cut up fire wood.  I wanted to make a note of some of the suggestions from the article for later reference.

Engine Size: Since there is a considerable amount of Oak in the area, the author suggests going with a 52cc engine or larger.

Bar Length: The general rule is that you can cut a tree with a diameter 2.2 times the length of the bar.  The author cautions against going with too large of a bar as there is a greater risk of injury.  He suggests a 14 to 16 inch bar.

Brands:  The author suggest going with a brand like Stihl or Husqvarna.  A YouTube channel I follow, WranglerStar, recommends going with a Stihl MS260 (now MS261).  The MS260 Pro has the following specifications:

Weight -10.6 lbs
Engine HP -3.2 bhp
Engine Displacment -50.2 cc 
Bar Lengths -16" to 20"
Chain Width -325" or 3/8"

No comments:

Post a Comment