Saturday, August 27, 2016

Deer Stand Window Repair

I planned to replace the lower window sill on two deer stand windows today.  However, I only had time to replace the main window.

The original lower sill was installed with a quarter inch of caulk underneath.  I expected the 2" x 4" frame under the sill to be even with the metal but it was not.  As a result, after pulling off the rotten sill, I had to strip off the caulk, and then cut the metal so that it was flat with the lower window frame.  The job took much longer than I was expecting.

Unfortunately, the job was not done at that point.  I cut two new pieces of molding for the sides of the window opening.  When I installed the one on the left side, I realized the water had penetrated in and rotted part of the 2" x 4" frame.  I made it work anyway as in the end it is a deer stand but it bothered me as I'm a perfectionist.

After installing all the wood, I caulked it all.  Several hours later, I stopped back by and put a second coat of paint on everything.  


While I was at it, I installed a latch and lock on the stand. Since I don't expect to hunt there a great deal this winter, I didn't want it be wide open for someone else to sneak over and use.  I've no reason to believe someone would but why risk it when you can just lock it up.


No comments:

Post a Comment