Saturday, July 29, 2023

Texas Metal Tanks Wildlife Waterer (Part 2)

This Saturday, I returned to work on the wildlife waterer a bit more.  I built a small fence around the perimeter using a spare hog panel and a small scrap piece of a cattle panel I cut a few years ago.  The two combined were just enough to circle the water tank so that hogs would not push it over and the cut piece formed a gate.  I cut a few 5' T-posts down slightly so that they are just a couple of inches below the ring of the funnel.

I mounted the funnel to the barrel itself using the 2" self-taping screws that they provided.  I'd considered coming up with brackets or something a little better but in the end just used the screws.  


The funnel is 6' in diameter.  If we get 1" of rain, it should amount to 17 gallons.  If I wanted the entire tank filled it would take 5" of rain to make it happen.


I ran a regular water hose from the bib at the bottom of the tank over to the watering pan.  I coiled the extra hose around the tank as opposed to cutting it.  


The tank is out of the way so that if I were to shoot anything in the pen, I'm not going to hit the tank with a bullet.  It is visible in the back left of the picture above.


I poured 15 gallons of water into the tank to get it to at least fill the water pan.  After waiting a while, it never filled the pan.  The bib is on at the tank so I'm not sure what is wrong.  The process to find out isn't hard but I called it a day as I'd been working for several hours, it was 2 o'clock, and the temperature was 101.  I'll work on it a bit more on the next trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment