Monday, July 24, 2023

Texas Metal Tanks Wildlife Waterer

Several weeks ago, I ordered a Wildlife Waterer from Texas Metal Tanks.  The tank itself is a 90 gallons and measures 30" in diameter by 33" tall.  On top of the tank is essentially a 6' cone to collect rain.  Additionally, it comes with a tank screen that goes into the bottom of the cone (TASS20 from rainwaterharvesting.com) and a galvanized water dish with shut off float (Pet Lodge PW13).

The company that made the waterer is in Dripping Springs.  Considering the size, it would cost $275 to ship it so I made the 2.5 hour drive to go pick it up today.  





There was a hose that came with the setup to connect the large tank to the watering pan but it was only 2' long.  I'll need to get another as I plan to have the tank quite a way from the pan.  I'd like the tank out of the way so that it is not in the way of shooting with the pan in the feeding pen so that hogs will not destroy it.


I also need to come up with a way to fasten the cone to the tank.  The company provided several 2" screws to screw it down to a flange on top of the tank.  This would work but they couldn't be very tight or they would distort the shape of the cone.  I'm going to try to come up with another option.

The last thing I need to do is put a fence up around the waterer so that hog does not try to rub against it and push the whole thing over.  A 16' hog panel is 5' in diameter when formed into a circle which should work.  I have a spare panel I can use and will just need a few T-posts to secure it to the ground.  

Lastly, I need to level the ground so that it is sitting perfectly flat as when full it will have 720 lbs of water inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment