Wednesday, June 22, 2016

Inspecting and Repairing the Deer Stand

The land we purchased came with a deer stand and feeder.  The stand is just large enough to hold two people which will work great for my wife and I or my son and I going hunting.


The stand is no doubt many years old.  However, the metal siding has kept in pretty good condition.  The window frame on the front is really rotten but the rest of the window frames seem to be in good shape.  I'm not sure if this is a sign of age or the use of untreated wood. 

My plan would be to replace the window frame before this fall before it gets worse.  I've some extra plexiglass from a previous stand project that I will use to make the window just a little bigger.  I took a few measurements so I could work on this project a little at home and arrive with some usable pieces:

Window frame itself:
     39 5/8" Wide
     11" High
     
Window panel:
     39 1/2" Wide
     10 7/8" High

Plexiglass:
     30 1/4" Wide
     4 1/4" High (estimated)


The door is a unique design.  The frame of the stand and the door frame are made from 2x4's.  These two frames sit flush with one another.  The door panel then screws to the door frame and overhangs on one side to make contact with the frame and stop it from swinging too far inward.  It is a little tough to close but works fine.  The door does need a handle on the inside and a lock for the outside of the door.  




No comments:

Post a Comment