Saturday, June 11, 2016

Old Shed - Initial Inspection

We plan to spend tomorrow at the land but decided to stop by on our way through the area this evening.  I wanted to take a look at the shed and make sure the keys we were provided worked.  

The locks for the four gates work but don't work smoothly.  I purchased a new set of matched key locks to use on the land anyway.  Unfortunately, the latch on my new locks were so big they would not fit through the existing chain.  The solution was easy but involved spending $20.78 for four 3' lengths of 5/16 chain from Lowe's.

The door to the shed leaves a little to be desired.  It is wide enough to accomodate a 4 wheeler or mower but the previous owner set a piece of plywood down before shutting the door as the angle of the shed leaves a gradual gap which expands to 6" at one end.  



The shed has a fair amount of junk in it.  I'm sure some of it will be usable.  However, I'll have to go through it all.  That is rather difficult at the moment as it is filled with wasps.  



There is carpet from a house lining the floor of the shed.  Its rather nasty and something I plan to fix in the near future.  The floor which is not covered with carpet has the remains of packaging which looks to have been torn into tiny pieces by rats.



I'm hopeful we can find a few items of use in the shed.  The property has electricity but it is not routed to the shed.  There is an electric cord on the floor and a light on the ceiling which I suppose they ran to a nearby outlet to have lights at night.  



Once I feel confident the wasps are all dead, I'll go through the shed, clean it up, find out what there is worth keeping, and stock it with a few things I can use while out working on the property.

No comments:

Post a Comment